The RV Lingo You Need To Know in 2021

As long-time dealers of memory-makers, a part of our job is to help those new to RVing stay as in-the-loop as possible so that your experience is as good as it can possibly get. That includes catching you up on all of the lingo, jargon, and slang that you might hear somewhere along your RV ownership journey.

So, if you’re new to the game (or have been on the sidelines for a while), strap in as we fill you in on some of the most important RV lingo you need to know in 2021.

RV Lingo & Terms

Basement: The first one’s an easy one! This is the storage area below the RV that’s accessible from the outside. These are most commonly found in Class A and Class C motorhomes.

Black Water: All hazardous water waste from your RV’s toilet that is stored in the black water tank.

Boondocking: Also known as “roughing it,” boondocking refers to setting up camp in remote areas that don’t offer hook-ups or charge a fee.

Bureau of Land Management (BLM): The government entity responsible for managing much of the public land throughout the United States. This land is usually a prime location for boondockers.

Coach: Another name for a Class A motorhome.

Dinghy (Toad): A name for any vehicle that is being towed (“toad”) behind your motorhome.

Dry Camping: Another word for boondocking.

Fiver: A fifth-wheel RV.

Full-Hookup (FHU): A full-hookup site is a campsite that features all necessary hook-ups, including water, electricity, and sewage.

Full-Timers: There are some RVers that live out of their motorhome year-round or at least a majority of the year. These are known as full-timers.

Gray Water: All other wastewater that comes from everywhere else but the toilet.

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): Your RV’s GVWR refers to the maximum allowable weight that it can safely carry, including cargo and passengers.

Part-Timers: Part-timers are RVers that might spend months at a time on the road but still have a main “sticks and bricks” residence back home.

Puller: A motorhome with a diesel engine located toward the front of the vehicle.

Pusher: The opposite of a puller, a pusher is a diesel motorhome with its engine located toward the back of the vehicle.

Rig: Another name for your RV.

Slideout: A type of motorhome that expands to create more space, usually in the living quarters.

Sticks and Bricks: A common term that refers to any location that isn’t on wheels, like your house back home.

Wallydocking: A type of boondocking that consists of parking your RV overnight in a Walmart parking lot.

Believe it or not, that’s not even close to a comprehensive list! The longer you spend RVing, the more and more lingo you’ll inevitably come across, but this shortlist is a good crash course for getting you started.

Do you have more questions about how you can get your adventure started or back up and running after a long break? For over 50 years, Pharr RVs has been helping full-timers and part-timers alike get out of the sticks and bricks and back into a rig the whole family will fall in love with! Click here, and let’s talk memory-makers.

Share Button